change font size

Cataract Surgery in Edison

Have you or a loved one been diagnosed with a cataract or experienced a deterioration in your vision? Cataract surgery is necessary when the eye’s clear lens becomes clouded and causes vision to become impaired. This is most commonly a natural result of aging. Our Edison, Warren, and Piscataway eye doctors will take great care to thoroughly examine your eyes and determine the best course of treatment.

What is a cataract?

There is a clear lens inside the eye that helps focus light. This allows images to be seen sharply. As a person ages, the lens slowly grows cloudy and turns yellow. This cloudy lens is a cataract. A cataract scatters or blocks the light that passes into the eye. As a result, images appear blurry.

How are cataracts diagnosed and treated?

First you will need to have a thorough examination of your eyes, including dilation. Sometimes a change in your eyeglass prescription may be all that is needed to temporarily improve your vision. When glasses no longer help and you feel that your vision affects your daily activities or your lifestyle then cataract surgery should be considered. Cataracts can only be removed with surgery.

When should cataract surgery be done?

The majority of patients decide to have surgery when their change in vision is affecting their daily activities and decreasing quality of life.  Some patients choose to have cataract surgery even before they develop vision-blocking cataracts. For these patients, refractive lens surgery can be performed in order to eliminate or reduce the need for glasses and to regain their near vision. With their astigmatism managed and a multi-focal lens implanted, the vast majority (92% in the official FDA study) of these patients see well at distance, intermediate, and near, and they never or just occasionally use glasses. The remaining 8% also saw quite well, but they used glasses more than just occasionally. The bottom line is: If you’re happy with your vision and it doesn’t cause difficulties with reading, computer use, driving, working, or your active lifestyle, then you should postpone the surgery.

How does my doctor fix a cataract?

During cataract surgery, your physician will replace your natural lens with an intraocular lens or IOL.  There are many types of intraocular lenses available now including monofocal, multifocal, and toric or astigmatism correcting lenses.  Your surgeon will discuss the various options and help you decide which one is best for you.

Cataract Surgery Edison

The Eye Center offers 2 types of surgery:

  • Traditional Cataract Surgery: In traditional cataract surgery the eye surgeon makes an incision on the eye by hand with a stainless steel blade and uses a bent or shaped needle to create an opening in the lens capsule.
  • Laser Refractive Cataract Surgery or LenSx: The eye surgeon utilizes a computerized laser to make precise incisions on the eye. These laser-made incisions can correct astigmatism and may increase predictability of visual outcomes. Laser incisions may also produce less inflammation during surgery.

Contact one of our offices in Edison, Warren, or Piscataway, NJ to schedule a consultation to see if you are a candidate for any of our cataract procedures.